Sunday, February 6, 2011

Romp to Stomp out breast cancer

On Saturday we participated in our first snowshoe race, with benefits going toward the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. I signed up thinking it would be a fun little activity on a winter morning. I had NO idea how hard it would be! I guess there are snowshoes made specifically for running, and that is not the kind we have. So while everyone else was trotting happily along, I was tripping over myself, panting for air, and feeling a bit embarrassed. Also keep in mind that it was a cold, windy, snowy day, so I had come prepared with all sorts of gear. Well, shortly into this "last chance workout" I was pulling everything off and handing it to Dave to carry. Quite a sight to behold. "Am I this out of shape?!!" I asked myself. Although I didn't run the whole time, at least I never stopped walking! And thank goodness for the Luna Bars and water at the finish line- I was in need of a little pick-me-up. Looks like next year I'll need to do some training for the event (and get a different pair of snowshoes!)
Look how big those suckers are!! YOU try running in those things! Other people had snowshoes half that size!

No comments:

Post a Comment